While I soaked my chunks of white fabric in soda ash, I put together a few bottles of dye and labeled them a bit. Truth be known, I had not yet used these handy little spouted containers. (you know there's got to be a story coming up....)
|Diluted dye mixture in spouted jars|
I chose the most brutally cold day to collect my snow. My lab turned out to be the basement, where I could safely "drip" by accident. The fat eighth chunks were scrunched up, and covered with mounds of snow. I started to "squirt" the liquid dye ----- ooooohhhhh nooooooo--------I forgot to snip the tips off the dye bottles, and had to remove the entire cap to actually "pour" it out. Fingers crossed. I did a quick bed check, and left the stuff to melt. A couple hours later, I added some grocery bag plastic to cover things so they could batch as long as possible.
|buckets with props to support fabric & snow|
Here we are, next day, drip drying after several good rinses to clear. I can see there is some good movement in these little samples. I also note that I was a bit heavy-handed with the Fuscia.
A bit more warm drying - they are just damp at this point
And after a good pressing, they are ready to 1) enjoy 2) analyze 3) use for some thread studies.
This was so much fun, I may do it again tomorrow.